Monday, October 17, 2011

Elephant Ears...


So again I saw something of Nikki's that reminded me of when Gina, Chantelle, Jean-Marie (I think it was these girls) were still in the US as Au Pairs, and one of them posted a pic of them with things called "Elephant Ears", I told myself that if I ever go back to the US I would really like to try find them and try them...

Well I still hadn't tried them until I saw that pic of Nikki's, then I just HAD to try find out where I could find them... Apparently they feature in a lot of Country Fairs in the Summer... Rebecca (a friend on FB) had a recipe for them and kindly gave it to me - I have now saved the recipe on my computer!

So I tried them out today - what an easy recipe AND the best part - SOOOO divine!! WOW!

All The Ingredients...


1 1/2 Cup Milk
1 Tsp Salt
2 Tbs Sugar
3/8 Cup Shortening
2 Tbs Active Yeast
4 Cups Flour
1 Quart Oil
2 Tbs Sugar
2 Tbs Ground Cinnamon


1. In small saucepan over medium heat, combine milk, salt, 2 tablespoons sugar and shortening. Heat until shortening melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and let cool to lukewarm, 110 degrees F (43 degrees C). Sprinkle in yeast and let sit until foamy.
2. Transfer mixture to large bowl, and stir in flour to make a dough. Knead until smooth, cover and let rise 30 minutes.
3. In a large heavy skillet or deep fryer, heat 1 inch of oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
4. Roll out 1 to 2 inch balls of dough into thin sheets. Fry sheets 1 to 2 minutes on a side, until puffed and golden. Drain on paper towels.
5. Combine cinnamon and 6 tablespoons sugar. Sprinkle over warm pastries. Serve.

The Process...











Me Having My First Taste... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment