Tuesday, October 25, 2011

What I Hate & What I Like About America...

Since I was here as an Au Pair for 18 months from 2006 - 2008 I have been able to learn what I like and what I hate in this country... There are more likes than hates though which I guess is good :) This is what I have learnt so far, I'm sure there are more to add to each list that I'm not thinking of right now, but this is it for now...

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT AMERICA….
The seasons
No fences around properties
Feeling safe in some places
Automatic Cars
So many different choices of cereals (lol)
Halloween
How everyone goes all out with Christmas decorations outside their houses
Cable
Coupons
Freebies (:))
911
How quickly the police act
The way traffic police work
All the ice cream choices (haha)

All the purchases one can make online :D

WHAT I HATE ABOUT AMERICA…
The way people eat here - slurping, crunching, drinking out of their cereal bowls etc
The way people complain about the country – go live in Africa or even better Haiti!!
Use different measurements
You pay for incoming and outgoing calls / texts
You need a credit score to be able to do anything – like get a car / rent an apartment
The only way to GET a credit score is to get a CREDIT CARD – so freaking dumb!
The bills are all due on different days
Oh and you need an SSN (Social Security Number) for EVERYTHING too…


Although I am loving being back here in Michigan, I do miss the comfort of home and everything I grew up and am use to! I am becoming an American but will ALWAYS be a South African at heart no matter what :) I do love my home country!!


2 comments: