Sunday, March 31, 2013

What To Do When Your Orchid Loses Its Flowers....

I've been meaning to do this post for a while now. I got a beautiful Orchid for Christmas last year from the wonderful family I babysit for, and so I have been looking after it as best I can.

A few weeks ago all the flowers on my Orchid fell off, and the stems were turning a yellow / brown colour, so I went in search of what to do next, because I had never owned an Orchid before. I found great advice and so I tried it out - I'm hoping it'll all work out in the end. I also found out that they only flower for 6 months of a year, which bumbed me out, they are so pretty and hoped they would flower more often.

Anyways here is what I did :


My Orchid with no more flowers and the stems turning light green / yellow / brown


Close up of the top two stems


Take some gardening scissors and cut about an inch from the base of the stem. For me it was about two nodes up from the bottom. Snip the ENTIRE stem off


This is how much stem you should cut off, you can see the difference in colour change from the bottom up to the top where there are two stems


This is what your Orchid should now look like, just a short little stem like this to start growing a new stem and hopefully new flowers when it has fully grown :)

I water my Orchid using the 3 ice cube way. It is so much easier to not over water the Orchid, and I found it was sufficient enough for mine. So once a week I put in 3 ice cubes at the base. I am still trying to figure out how and when to do the re-potting part, once I have, I will do another post! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment